How To Start A Cyber Security Awareness Program


There are several ways to create an effective cyber security awareness program. You can focus your efforts on events that will attract a wide audience and drive attention to the program. For example, you could organize a cyber-science fair or a trade show to educate your employees about the importance of cybersecurity. Another effective way to spread the word is through short, sharp messages. Here’s a list of the best cyber security companies in Dubai.

NCSAM events

While most organizations provide some level of security awareness education, many hackers have developed ways around security controls. These challenges are what security awareness programs must address. To help you get started, consider attending an NCSAM event. The theme this year is “See Yourself in Cyber.” Participating in an event can spread the word about cyber security and encourage employees to become more informed.

Shorter, text-based content

Animated videos are also a popular choice for cyber security training. These videos are easy to digest and may be more entertaining than a long, boring lecture. The goal is to strike a balance between entertainment and knowledge transfer.

Shorter content is also more likely to engage employees. Long-form content is difficult to read and may result in a loss of attention. Shorter content will keep employees’ attention and help them remember the information better.

Continuous learning principle

A cyber security awareness program is vital to an organization’s cybersecurity strategy. It’s an outwardly visible face of the security department and must be as effective as other organizing efforts. While formal training should only be 10% of the program’s total time, addressing the other 90% is equally critical.

The goal of any security training program is to change behaviors. However, this is a daunting task for organizations with overworked staff. In addition, finding the time to train all employees can take time and effort. Research shows that only 17% of security professionals can dedicate enough time to training. Hence, many organizations are moving toward continuous learning to ensure employees retain their lessons. After all, the threat environment is constantly evolving, which means that training programs must also evolve.

Behavioral change

Behavioral change is one of the keys to success in implementing a cybersecurity awareness program. Employees must feel empowered to change their behavior and culture to protect the organization better. This can be done through simple gestures such as sharing interests about security or incentivizing the right behaviors. Behavioral change can also be achieved by focusing on the right message, frequency, and delivery channels.